A man from Alabama almost died because he was charging an iPhone in bed and he got electrocuted by the iPhone charger. He was on the verge of losing his life while asleep. On March 22, Wiley Day, a 32-year old man from Alabama plugged his iPhone in and placed it at his bedside. He went to sleep without knowing what was about to happen.
A 32-year-old man from Alabama was in danger of losing his life
He woke up the next morning with a cable that got entangled around his neck. The chain also got around the connector prongs of the charger. Unfortunately, it came out loose from an extension cord. That chain was able to conduct the electricity which was meant for charging the smartphone. Instead, by being entangled around his neck, it channeled electricity towards his body, electrocuting him.
The man suffered third-degree burns around his neck. He felt his heart rapidly pounding and his vision narrowed as he lay numb while he was being electrocuted. He started screaming until a relative came in. By that time, he managed to take off the cable around his neck, suffering burns to his hands and neck. The extension cord of his iPhone had smoke coming out of it.
Charging an iPhone in bed could cause severe damages
He explained that he did not feel the electrocution, but he felt a massive pressure around his neck. The man stated that he feels blessed to be alive, after having such a traumatizing experience. Wiley Day was able to stand up after this unpleasant incident. His doctor hospitalized Wiley immediately. Doctors argued that this man was lucky because that shock coming from the charger could have killed him.
The electricity which is used for charging an iPhone can definitely kill a human. Wiley Day might not be the only person who sleeps with a charging phone at their bedside. This case should raise awareness for all those who have this unhealthy habit. It is dangerous to keep a phone charging so close to you during the night time due to all those cases in which phones overcharged and the battery exploded.
In the past, there were many complaints regarding charging phones that electrocuted users. Back in 2013, Apple investigated the death of a woman in China who electrocuted herself when she answered her phone while it was charging. People should be more aware of the risks imposed by these electronics.
Image courtesy of: flickr