He quickly pulled the earbuds out and put them down. He then went to call a gym staff member to help him out. When he returned, though, the earbuds likely exploded since there were only some pieces left.
It was already popped. I didn’t see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried,
the man told a local news station.
He added that the AirPods had traces of “flame damage”.
It is not the first time a piece of hardware blows up unexpectedly. Such explosions are caused by overheated batteries, which can damage the device beyond repair when they blow up.
AirPods Could Have Damaged Man’s Ears
The explosion of the AirPods was so strong that ruptured the casing, which makes the earbuds hazardous for health as they could have exploded in the man’s ears.
Colon confirmed that he cannot fathom what would have happened to his ears if that scenario had happened. He believes that his ear lobes would have been severely burnt in such explosion.
What’s more, it is not the first time a pair of earbuds explode. In 2017, an Australian woman saw her wireless headphones blow up while on a flight. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau confirmed the incident and that the earbuds were defective.
The woman said she heard a loud sound and felt a “burning on her face”. She immediately threw the headphones to the ground. The devices were reportedly on fire, but the crew was able to put out the blaze. It is unclear what brand the headphones were.
Image Source: Pexels