You’ll be able to benefit from Blizzard’s generousness by following these simple steps:
- Ensure that your machine is running on Windows or Mac as other operating systems are not supported.
- Sign up for a Battle.net account on this registration page, unless you already have one; you can use your Facebook page for registration purposes too.
- In the Battle.net Shop look for the free title and click Play for Free
- On the Account Management page, select StarCraft II, pick the right OS, and wait for the installer to work its magic.
- After the game was installed, you’re good to go.
If you’re new to the game, ensure you have a BattleTag, which is basically your in-game username.
StarCraft II Not Entirely Free
It is worth noting that the freebie has its limitations. While it includes the single-player campaign for Wings of Liberty, Legacy of the Void, Heart of the Swarm, and others will come at a price. Get ready to shell out either $14.99 for each or $39.99 for the bundle set.
For users who purchased Wings of Liberty before Blizzard’s free-to-play announcement, the company will give them Heart of the Swarm for free. Ensure you access Battle.net and claim it until Dec. 8. In the Battle.net client look for a button in the upper-right corner. Next, check your e-mail for the download code.
The Co-op mode will also be free except for Commanders Kerrigan, Artanis, and Raynor. You’ll be able to play others free of charge up to level five.
In addition, you should know that Blizzard offered the original game’s die-hard fans a remastered copy of StarCraft for free in April, which includes the Brood War expansion.
Image Source: Flickr