The Swiss media said that the police, an ambulance, and the local fire department were all deployed to the Apple store on Bahnhofstrasse 77 after a person called the emergency service at around 10:000 a.m. on Tuesday.
A store assistant reportedly suffered minor burns after he tried to remove the faulty battery from the device. It was not immediately clear what type of device that was. Six other people required medical assistance after they inhaled the smoke. None of them was taken to the hospital, though.
Police praised the store’s management for their rapid response. The store was evacuated as soon as the smoke was detected inside the location. The fire crew poured sand on the overcharged battery. This way the smoke was contained and removed from the location.
The Zurich Forensic Institute is now reportedly analyzing the faulty battery in order to find out what went wrong.
Apple In Damage Control After Batterygate Scandal
This period, Apple stores worldwide are busy with the battery replacement program as the company has offered a lower-priced battery replacement for older iPhones whose performance had been throttled to prevent their processors from overheating. The new batteries will cost $29 and iPhone users will be able to buy them at the discounted price regardless of the cause of their batteries’ poor performance.
The battery replacement comes in the wake of a scandal called the “Batterygate” and several lawsuits. Users have suspected for years that Apple may be slowing down their older handsets’ performance on purpose to force them to buy newer models.
Apple admitted to the wrongdoing but explained that the throttling was done to prevent hardware damage in older iPhones triggered by aging batteries, rather than business purposes.
Image Source: Flickr